- 1 Should you hang your food when camping?
- 2 Where do you hang food when camping?
- 3 What is the point of a bear bag?
- 4 What smells do bears hate?
- 5 Can I keep food in my car while camping?
- 6 What to do if a black bear is outside your tent?
- 7 Can bears smell food in your car?
- 8 Can you use a dry sack as a bear bag?
- 9 Does hanging a bear bag work?
- 10 Can you use an Ursack instead of a bear canister?
- 11 Are dry bags smell proof?
- 12 How do backpackers protect food from bears?
- 13 Do you have to hang an Ursack?
- 14 Can bears smell through Ziploc bags?
Should you hang your food when camping?
Hanging your food when camping essentially makes it harder for animals, especially bears, from getting into your food. They physically won’t be able to reach it and, after enough time, will eventually leave to look for easier pickings. This is the main reason why hanging food is so effective!
Where do you hang food when camping?
Here are the main methods for hanging food:
- You can suspend your food from a high, sturdy tree limb.
- At some backcountry campsites you’ll find bear poles, a major improvement over tree branches.
- Or you may find a high horizontal metal cable strung between two poles, which is usually easier to hang your food bag from.
What is the point of a bear bag?
THE PURPOSE OF HANGING A BEAR BAG IS TO KEEP BEARS WILD! The primary purpose of hanging a bear bag at night or using a bear canister is to keep bears wild. Period. If a bear starts eating human food because of your carelessness or hubris (excessive pride), it’s possible that it will stop seeking natural food sources.
What smells do bears hate?
Bears also dislike the strong scent of pine-based cleaners, but avoid using anything with a fresh, lemony or fruity smell. And never mix bleach and ammonia; the combination produces fumes that can be deadly to both people and bears.
Can I keep food in my car while camping?
Yes, you can typically keep food in your car while you’re camping. However, keep in mind that it may draw animals to your campsite. You’ll need to know how to keep the scent of your food locked in. Additionally, some campgrounds may have rules requiring you to keep your food in a locker at night.
What to do if a black bear is outside your tent?
What to Do When A Bear Approaches the Tent
- Be quiet first. Often, once a bear realizes there are humans present, it will take off.
- Then use your voice.
- Get your bear spray or gun ready.
- Do not confront the bear but stand your ground.
- Don’t run.
- Know when to fight back.
Can bears smell food in your car?
Bears will break into cars to investigate any object that smells or looks like food.
Can you use a dry sack as a bear bag?
If used carefully, smell-proof bags should keep their contents undetectable to bears as well as mice. Consider using a smell-proof bag as a liner inside your bear canister or Ursack bag. Dry bags: I used the same dry bag for my entire thru-hike.
Does hanging a bear bag work?
It’s often impossible. The effectiveness of a hang depends largely on the tree in which the bear bag is suspended. It’s recommended that the bag is positioned about 12 feet off the ground, five feet away from the trunk, and about five feet below the closest limb. Near tree line, the trees are too stunted.
Can you use an Ursack instead of a bear canister?
Even if it isn’t required, still use a bear canister. You could save a bear’s life by not teaching it food conditioning. Only use an Ursack if you really can’t carry the weight. In areas without bears: Then hang your food as protection against critters.
Are dry bags smell proof?
Ziplocs are most definitely NOT odor proof. Whether its the pores or leaky bags or whatever, just stick any food in them and even you can smell it. OPSAKs work really well, IMO. They could be more durable, but if you’re careful you can get some long use out of them.
How do backpackers protect food from bears?
Use resealable bags instead of bottles, jars, and cans. Force air out of bags or packages. Carry food and garbage in plastic bags to contain crumbs and grease that can leave odors in your backpack. Bear-resistant containers only work if they are closed and locked.
Do you have to hang an Ursack?
@RussellSawyer I don’t use one but you should hang it because bears will destroy your food if they get hold of the sack even if they can’t actually get into it.
Can bears smell through Ziploc bags?
Yes, bears can smell through Ziploc bags. This is because scent molecules can easily escape the thin plastic of the bags, and also because bears have one of the greatest senses of smell in the entire animal kingdom. When in bear country, don’t rely on Ziploc bags to block the smell of your food.