- 1 Is camping allowed in Kern County?
- 2 Can I camp anywhere in Kern River?
- 3 What does a campsite need?
- 4 Are there showers at Kern River Campground?
- 5 Where can I swim in Kern River?
- 6 Do you need a reservation for Kern River?
- 7 Are there bears in Kernville?
- 8 Why is the Kern River so dangerous?
- 9 Can you swim in Kern River?
- 10 Can you BBQ at Kern River?
- 11 What should you not bring camping?
- 12 How do you camp for beginners?
- 13 What is a basic campsite?
Is camping allowed in Kern County?
The Upper Kern River is between Lake Isabella and the Johnsondale Bridge and is part of the North Fork of the Kern Wild and Scenic River. Dispersed camping (outside of campgrounds) and campfires with permits are allowed in much of the area, but must be at least 25 feet from the river’s edge.
Can I camp anywhere in Kern River?
Camping is free, and can be done anywhere as long as you’re 25 feet from the water. No water or electricity, but they do have vault toilets, and seasonal trash bins. It’s also a day use area, so you might see some people here using it as access to the river, but it will quiet down considerably at night.
What does a campsite need?
- Tent (and footprint, stakes)
- Sleeping bags.
- Sleeping pads.
- Camping pillow.
- Headlamps or flashlights (and extra batteries)
- Camp chairs.
- Camp table (if no picnic table)
- Lantern (and mantles and fuel/batteries if needed)
Are there showers at Kern River Campground?
Guests can enjoy clean bathrooms and coin-operated showers. The campground is available for weddings, family reunions, and other group events. Frandy is within walking distance of downtown Kernville, where guests will find additional amenities and services including restaurants, shops, and gas stations.
Where can I swim in Kern River?
As you drive up the Kern River on Hwy 99 from Lake Isabella, the winding road with steep cliffs reveal lots of swimming holes. You’ll see people camped out in dispersed sites all around here. Two unique swimming holes that are especially intriguing are at Limestome Campground and the other at Brush Creek Campground.
Do you need a reservation for Kern River?
Reservations are available any time prior to arrival at the campground, based on availability, and up to one year in advance. Campers requesting more than 2 campsites should call the main office. Requests on number of campsites will be subject to availability, and discretion of Department staff.
Are there bears in Kernville?
Typically, bear sightings in the city of Bakersfield are only reported once or twice a year. A common occurrence is a bear up a tree on residential property within bear habitat such as Lebec, Tehachapi, Stallion Springs, Bear Valley Springs, Kernville, Lake Isabella, Frazier Park and Glennville.
Why is the Kern River so dangerous?
The Kern River is more dangerous than normal — the water levels are higher from rain and snow melting and flowing into the river, and the water is moving fast. Three went missing in the Kern River and there was one drowning in Isabella Lake. Since 2000, 96 people have died in the Kern River in Kern County.
Can you swim in Kern River?
Swimming: It is NOT a good idea to swim in the Kern River in 2017 as snow pack further north is still melting, causing the currents to be far more rapid than previous years. Please read up on River Safety! Always respect the water and never underestimate the river currents.
Can you BBQ at Kern River?
Beach area, DAY USE ONLY, Paved road and parking area; Tables; Toilets; No drinking water; Elevation 2,650 feet. Open year round; Supplies at Kernville and Riverkern. Campfires or barbecues are not allowed on the beach.
What should you not bring camping?
Here’s a list of what not to bring camping on your next adventure trip.
- Colognes, perfumes, and scented lotions.
- Glassware and individual beer bottles.
- Family-size containers of food.
- High fashion jewelry or clothes.
How do you camp for beginners?
Camping Guide For Beginners
- Choose Your Campsite Carefully. There will be a large variety of campsites available for you to choose from.
- Purchasing Your Tent.
- Purchasing Sleeping Bags.
- Get The Right Accessories.
- Practice Pitching Your Tent.
- Have a Practice Camp.
- Setting up at the Campsite.
- Make a Camping Essentials List.
What is a basic campsite?
What Is A Basic Campsite? For most campgrounds, a basic site is one that can accommodate up to 6 people (in 1 vehicle) and has a parking spot, a picnic table, and a grill or a fire ring.