- 1 How do you hang food when camping?
- 2 Where should you store food when camping?
- 3 What is the point of a bear bag?
- 4 Do you really need a bear canister?
- 5 What smells do bears hate?
- 6 What to do if a black bear is outside your tent?
- 7 Can I keep food in my tent?
- 8 How do you keep food cold for 3 days camping?
- 9 What are easy foods to take camping?
- 10 Can you use a dry sack as a bear bag?
- 11 Does hanging a bear bag work?
- 12 Are dry bags smell proof?
- 13 How many days of food can you fit in a bear canister?
- 14 Can you use an Ursack instead of a bear canister?
- 15 Can I keep food in my car while camping?
How do you hang food when camping?
Hanging Your Food
- You can suspend your food from a high, sturdy tree limb.
- At some backcountry campsites you’ll find bear poles, a major improvement over tree branches.
- Or you may find a high horizontal metal cable strung between two poles, which is usually easier to hang your food bag from.
Where should you store food when camping?
Be sure to keep the container closed and locked even while you’re around your campsite.
- Place containers on flat, level ground 100 feet or more from your campsite.
- Do NOT place containers near cliffs or any water source, as a bear may knock the container around or roll it down a hill trying to open it.
What is the point of a bear bag?
THE PURPOSE OF HANGING A BEAR BAG IS TO KEEP BEARS WILD! The primary purpose of hanging a bear bag at night or using a bear canister is to keep bears wild. Period. If a bear starts eating human food because of your carelessness or hubris (excessive pride), it’s possible that it will stop seeking natural food sources.
Do you really need a bear canister?
Protecting your food from bears is recommended in any area that is inhabited by bears, and using a bear canister is required in many state and national parks, national forests and wilderness areas, and a number of other public lands.
What smells do bears hate?
Bears also dislike the strong scent of pine-based cleaners, but avoid using anything with a fresh, lemony or fruity smell. And never mix bleach and ammonia; the combination produces fumes that can be deadly to both people and bears.
What to do if a black bear is outside your tent?
What to Do When A Bear Approaches the Tent
- Be quiet first. Often, once a bear realizes there are humans present, it will take off.
- Then use your voice.
- Get your bear spray or gun ready.
- Do not confront the bear but stand your ground.
- Don’t run.
- Know when to fight back.
Can I keep food in my tent?
Never leave food in your tent [source: NPS]. You can wrap food in plastic bags and hang the bags on trees above the ground [source: Sanders]. Keep all your supplies, including toothpaste and deodorant, away from your tent because anything with a smell can attract bears [source: NPS].
How do you keep food cold for 3 days camping?
13 Tips: Keeping Food Cold When Camping
- Invest in the right cooler. This is the single more important decision to keeping your food cold.
- Pre-chill your cooler.
- Choose long-lasting ice.
- Freeze your food.
- Use ice packs.
- Two coolers are better than one.
- Pack your cooler tight, and pack it right!
- Keep your cooler in the shade.
What are easy foods to take camping?
Serve each recipe up on its own or combine together for a memorable meal.
- Peanut Butter and Honey or Jelly Sandwiches.
- Stacked Crackers.
- Hummus and Veggie Sticks.
- Nutty Berry Trail Mix or Granola Trail Mix.
- Sandwich Wraps.
- Tuna, Chicken or Egg Salad Sandwiches.
- Apple Peanut Butter Sandwiches.
Can you use a dry sack as a bear bag?
If used carefully, smell-proof bags should keep their contents undetectable to bears as well as mice. Consider using a smell-proof bag as a liner inside your bear canister or Ursack bag. Dry bags: I used the same dry bag for my entire thru-hike.
Does hanging a bear bag work?
It’s often impossible. The effectiveness of a hang depends largely on the tree in which the bear bag is suspended. It’s recommended that the bag is positioned about 12 feet off the ground, five feet away from the trunk, and about five feet below the closest limb. Near tree line, the trees are too stunted.
Are dry bags smell proof?
Ziplocs are most definitely NOT odor proof. Whether its the pores or leaky bags or whatever, just stick any food in them and even you can smell it. OPSAKs work really well, IMO. They could be more durable, but if you’re careful you can get some long use out of them.
How many days of food can you fit in a bear canister?
Bear Canister Pros and Cons Downside: They are heavy (2-3 lbs.), bulky and a tight (or insufficient) fit for all the food and scented items you aim to carry on a lengthy trip. Canisters typically hold 3-5 days’ worth of food and toiletries for 1 person.
Can you use an Ursack instead of a bear canister?
Even if it isn’t required, still use a bear canister. You could save a bear’s life by not teaching it food conditioning. Only use an Ursack if you really can’t carry the weight. In areas without bears: Then hang your food as protection against critters.
Can I keep food in my car while camping?
Yes, you can typically keep food in your car while you’re camping. However, keep in mind that it may draw animals to your campsite. You’ll need to know how to keep the scent of your food locked in. Additionally, some campgrounds may have rules requiring you to keep your food in a locker at night.