- 1 What food can I bring to Yosemite?
- 2 What should I pack for Yosemite?
- 3 Should I bring food to Yosemite?
- 4 Do I need hiking shoes for Yosemite?
- 5 Do I need bear spray in Yosemite?
- 6 Can you leave food in your car in Yosemite?
- 7 How many days do you need in Yosemite?
- 8 Are there mosquitoes in Yosemite?
- 9 Are there bear attacks in Yosemite?
- 10 Can a bear smell food in a car?
- 11 Can bears smell food in a refrigerator?
- 12 What kind of shoes should I wear to Yosemite?
- 13 What is the best month to visit Yosemite National park?
- 14 What do I need to know before hiking in Yosemite?
What food can I bring to Yosemite?
- Breakfast (oatmeal, granola, freeze-dried breakfast, etc.)
- Lunch (bagels, summer sausage, cheese, smoked salmon, etc.)
- Dinner (pasta, couscous, rice, freeze-dried dinner, etc.)
- Snacks (cookies, GORP, jerky, candy bars, dried fruit, etc.)
- Energy gels.
- Energy bars.
- Electrolyte replacement drink mix.
What should I pack for Yosemite?
What to Bring
- Map & compass.
- Trash bag.
- Sunglasses and sunscreen.
- Food and water.
- Storm gear.
- Headlamp/flashlight (with extra batteries)
- First-aid kit.
- Fire starter.
Should I bring food to Yosemite?
You are required by federal regulations to store all your “food ” properly throughout Yosemite National Park. You must have your food stored unless it’s within arm’s reach (so, don’t go for a swim or take a nap while leaving food out). Hanging food is illegal throughout Yosemite.
Do I need hiking shoes for Yosemite?
Waterproof hiking shoes and boots are necessary for hikes during spring and winter when trails are wet and snowy. All Season Hiking Clothes: Dressing in layers is always suggested when planning an outing in Yosemite.
Do I need bear spray in Yosemite?
Bear spray/ pepper spray is not allowed in Yosemite. The intent is not to harm the bear, but to scare it from the area and restore its natural fear of people by providing a negative experience.
Can you leave food in your car in Yosemite?
You may store food inside your car or truck (out of sight, with windows completely closed) only during daylight hours. You may not leave food in a pickup truck bed or strapped to the outside of a vehicle at any time. Food lockers are available at Curry Village parking lots and at nearly all trailhead parking areas.
How many days do you need in Yosemite?
If you only plan to do a few hikes and drive around to see the sights, three days is enough to see most everything. If you’d like to linger, you’ll have time to enjoy more ranger-led activities, attend evening programs, take tours, and hang around enjoying the scenery.
Are there mosquitoes in Yosemite?
There are mosquitoes in Yosemite National Park during the Summer months. Mosquitoes are very active during dusk and dawn. Since Yosemite is home to numerous waterfalls, rivers, and lakes, it is the perfect breeding ground for mosquitoes.
Are there bear attacks in Yosemite?
Bear Attacks Attacks are rare —nobody has been killed or seriously injured by a bear in Yosemite.
Can a bear smell food in a car?
The reason a bear will smell food in your car is because out of all animals, bears have the best sense of smell. On average, a bear has a sense of smell 2,100 times better than a human. A bear’s intelligence and sense of smell are just two of the many good reasons not to leave food in your car.
Can bears smell food in a refrigerator?
Yes. Bears have a great sense of smell and can smell food inside a refrigerator.
What kind of shoes should I wear to Yosemite?
Some people prefer a heavy-duty, high-ankle support boot and others opt for a lightweight waterproof hiking sandal, it’s a matter of preference but definitely make sure it is well-worn to avoid blisters. Thick hiking socks can also provide a good cushion and keep your feet warm.
What is the best month to visit Yosemite National park?
The best times to visit Yosemite are May and September, when the park is accessible, but not too crowded. It’s important to know that many roads and trails in Yosemite are closed for the majority of the year due to snow.
What do I need to know before hiking in Yosemite?
9 Things You Should Know About Visiting Yosemite National Park
- It’s Wise to Plan Ahead. Photo Credit: Margot Bigg.
- You’ll Have Access to (Almost) Everything You Need.
- Bears Are Kind of a Big Deal.
- It’s Not Just Bears You’ve Got to Look Out for.
- Don’t Expect Peace and Quiet.
- That Said, It’s Easy to Get Away from the Crowds.